Sunday, May 1, 2011

I'm Bloggin!!




Sooo, I'm entering the world of blogging.  Which terrifies  me.  People keep telling me to do this, as they think my Facebook posts are "SOOO FUNNY".....  I say it's an entirely different concept. Sure, I'm ok at the witty one liners.  Quite another thing to try to come up with enough fodder for an entire blog...  But I'm gonna give it a shot.  If only for the sake of my in-laws, who have used the fact that they are going to be serving a mission on a remote island for the next 2 years, to guilt me into this.  Rod and Betti, this is for YOU!  Love you!!!

So, for my first post, I wanted something BIG!  And with our Blake, we can't get much bigger than Abraham Lincoln!  All 4th grade classes get to take a trip to Springfield to visit all the Lincoln historical sites.  It is approx. a 16 hour day trip.  7 hours of which are spent on a bus.  With 25 4th graders.  Yeah.  Good times.  I got to go with B.  Which is an experience I'll never forget.  In a totally good way!

B and his BFF Abe
We started our trip at Lincoln's New Salem.  Which was a very Nauvoo-like experience.  B was particularly enamored with this statue, which was a gift to the historical site from the Sons of the Utah Pioneers.  It was cold.  But we didn't get rained on, which we definitely counted as a blessing. 

Lincoln's Tomb
Our next stop was Lincoln's Tomb.  Which is something B has wanted to see since we moved to Illinois last year.  I actually got all tender while we were in the tomb.  Blake was so quiet and reverent, and that alone is worth getting all tender for......

B rubbing Lincoln's nose for good luck
This was by far, my most favorite moment of the trip.  B couldn't reach Lincoln's nose, and was having a hard time trying to climb up the slippery granite.....  So one of the cute girls from his regular ed class came and lifted him up so that he could participate.  Once again, I got all kinds of choked up!! 
Blake could have stayed here all day.  Seriously.  Maybe I can get one of these for our back yard.  I'd always know where he is!
The statue in the front atrium.  The final prototype for the Lincoln Memorial in Washington D. C.
From the cemetary, we went to Lincoln's house.  They had a gift shop.  And showed movies in the "The-dee-ater".  The house he could have cared less about.  The gift shop was FUN!!!!

Lincoln's Home

B was hitting the wall by this time.....
From the Lincoln's home we went to the "New" State Capitol.  The pictures are below.  Yep.  Our tax dollars at work.  Glad someone has a pretty place to work......
The Capitol Rotunda.  Ok, it IS really really pretty...

The Senate


I took this pic as we were walking down the hall.  A VERY VERY bad man.  Can you guess?  B knew who he was!!!


The Old State Capitol Building
 From the "new" capital building we went to the "old" capital building. Seriously, if you EVER go to Springfield, this place alone is worth the drive. Our tour guide was INCREDIBLE! The guy had 25 4th graders hanging on his EVERY WORD. And me too, which being the history geek that I am, goes without saying. It was awesome! I can't wait to go back........ The whole time we were at the old capital, B was completely in awe that we were in a building that Joseph Smith had been in. Never mind the fact that we've been to Nauvoo twice since moving here, B was SO excited that the Prophet had BEEN TO THE OLD STATE CAPITAL. He said (yelled) it repeatedly on our tour.
B with his regular ed class


Can I just tell ya how much I LOVE this boy?  With all his quirks and issues, he really is still the sweetest, most honest, and kind boy I know.  It was an absolute priveledge to spend the whole day with him doing something that he (and I) love!!!

7 comments:

  1. Wow!! Our harrassing was worth it!!! What a fabulous experience for you and Blake.
    THANKS for blogging.....now we will have to seriously step it up and do a better job ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the world of blogging! It's a fun way to keep track of the exciting events in life. You look great, your kids are adorable and I love the report of the field trip! Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHAAAAAT? I'm actually a little bit scared. A tornado, Bin Ladan is dead and now this? And I have NO ROOM for food storage. We're screwed! Hahaha! ... Oh, I'm just so super excited that you're blogging! I loved this post! I miss you all so much -XOXO!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go Lori! I am so excited to keep up with your family! You will love blogging...when you have time for it. :) Good luck you bloggin blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WHOO HOO... Look at you Mrs. Popular. You just started your blog last night and you already have so many comments. What a treat for us to have you blogging! It's gunna be FUN!

    I would have loved to been with you and B on the tour. To bad it couldn't have been me and Kade along with you two.

    We are going to have so much Fun you will have tons to post about! PARTY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome first post. You've been holding out on us! A very fun read :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to know what B said about Governor Ford. :) Wish I could have been a fly on the wall.....or a fly buzzing around outside. That's one marathon of a field trip. You're a saint!

    ReplyDelete